Non permitted items
We have been asked by a number of students and parents to outline the rules regarding certain specific items being brought into school. Therefore we would like to clarify that the following items, as of Monday 26th June, are not permitted for students whilst on school site. We will be making it clear to students that, should these be seen, they will be confiscated and returned to the student at the end of the week and, if there is a repeat confiscation, may only be returned to parents at the end of a term.
- Fizzy/sparkling drinks or energy drinks – the only fizzy drinks that are permitted are either plain sparkling water or those that have been purchased at the school canteen. No other fizzy/sparkling drinks or energy drinks are permitted.
- Aerosols – aerosol sprays (e.g. perfume sprays, deodorant sprays etc) are not permitted and present a health risk to others. Any deodorant or similar item needs to be in a non-aerosol/nonspray form.
Academy Uniform Guidelines – September 2018
School uniform at North Kesteven is for those students in Years 7-11 and is an expectation that will be enforced by all staff. Sixth Formers are expected to abide by North Hykeham Joint Sixth Form Dress Code. Parents / Carers are responsible for their child’s standard of dress and the School expects them to ensure that this is maintained to the highest standards at all times by their acceptance of a place for their child at North Kesteven Academy and as outlined in the Home / School Agreement in the Student Diary.
Students in Years 7-11 are required to wear the appropriate uniform at all times when attending school, representing the academy including their journey to and from school or when participating in school-organised events outside normal school hours:
- A single style of Academy black skirt. This will be a loose fitting pleated skirt and from September 2018 this will be the ONLY skirt acceptable. The length of the skirt must be appropriate for school wear, as determined by the Academy. The skirt will be available in three lengths to accommodate differences in height. The cost of this skirt at Uniform Direct in Lincoln is £13. A full range of sizes will be available to ensure that there is a skirt to fit every student.
- A single style of Academy trouser – one for the boys and one for the girls. Again, this will be the ONLY trouser acceptable from September 2018. The cost of these trousers at Uniform Direct in Lincoln will be from £10 to £17. A full range of sizes will be available to ensure there is a pair of trousers to fit every student.
- Black formal lace-up or formal slip-on or formal Velcro leather-style shoes.
- Socks (plain black or white only) or tights (black or natural).
- A plain white formal shirt with short or long sleeves. The shirt must be fully buttoned and tucked in at all times.
- North Kesteven Academy tie with college logo – worn so that there is no gap between the bottom of the tie and trouser/skirt waistband.
- North Kesteven Academy blazer.
- A black or navy blue outdoor coat, with no writing, logos or additional adornment, which will keep students warm and dry without the need for items such as “hoodies” underneath.
(Please note: If a student is wearing an outdoor coat they must be wearing their blazer in addition.)
The following items are not allowed to be worn on the school site:
- Any visible items of clothing except those listed above
- Patterned or casual-style/informal white shirts
- Shorts, leggings, tight fitting trousers, denim, tracksuit bottoms, jeans- style, combat-style or cargo-style trousers
- Trainers, canvas shoes, trainer-style Velcro fastening shoes
- Leather jackets, hoodies, zipped tops, tracksuit tops, non-school uniform sweatshirts
- Jewellery – a watch and one plain stud in each ear, in the lower lobe, for pierced ears are the only items allowed. No other piercing, including top of ear, nose, eyebrow or tongue is permitted. Ear ‘stretchers’, ‘spacers’ or ‘tunnels’ are also not permitted.
- (Please note: we would require any unauthorised piercings to be removed and that it is not permissible to cover these up.)
- Excessive make-up is not allowed in Years 7-11; nor is coloured nail varnish, gels, shellac, acrylics or false nails of any kind.
- Hair longer than collar length must be tied back in lessons where it will create a health & safety risk.
All items of uniform and property should be clearly marked with name and tutor group.
Extremes of fashion or hairstyle are not permitted (e.g. unnatural hair colours) and staff may have to give individual students guidance on occasions. Failure to resolve some extremes immediately may result in immediate parental involvement or students working in other designated spaces in order to allow time for such issues to be resolved.
The academy reserves the right to send students home to change, with parental permission, if they are not in the correct clothes and to confiscate items of inappropriate clothing. If parental permission is not granted then students will be internally isolated until the matter can be resolved.
The academy’s decision is final regarding whether or not a student’s uniform/presentation is deemed acceptable.
An infringement of the uniform code that can be corrected will result on a mark on the student’s Conduct Card. Three marks will result in a Conduct detention at lunchtime.
Other additional equipment required:
- Bags: must be of the kind that will keep books dry, keep pamphlets and exercise books flat and in good condition. Rucksack style bags are recommended.
- A fully equipped pencil case including pens, pencils and a scientific calculator.
Physical Education & Dance Kit
Physical Education is compulsory for all students throughout the academy. All students are expected to maintain high standards, especially in terms of attitude to learning, kit and personal hygiene.
- A North Kesteven Academy greyPE T-Shirt
- North KestevenAcademy grey shortsor plain black sportsleggings with no logos
- Dark coloured one piece swimming costume and hat
- Blue/Black tracksuit bottoms & White T-shirt
- A North Kesteven Academy grey half-zip sweatshirt; black tracksuit bottoms or plain black sports leggings with no logos, swimming goggles, shin pads, gumshield
- A North Kesteven Academy grey PE T-Shirt
- North Kesteven Academy greyshorts
- Trainers suitable for sports – no ‘leisure’ trainers
- Studded football boots
- Swimming trunks/shorts, (no Bermuda shorts)
- Swimming hat for those with hair longer than the eyebrows.
- Blue/Black Tracksuit Bottoms & White T-Shirt
- A North Kesteven Academy grey half-zip sweatshirt; Black Tracksuit Bottoms, Swimming goggles, Shin Pads, Gumshield.
A student needing to be excused from a PE lesson must have the appropriate note in the Learning Diary from his/her parents explaining the request. Long term exclusion will require a Doctor’s certificate explaining specific reasons why the student cannot participate in PE.